Welcome to my blog, I hope you like all of the goodies that I post here! To place an order, just e-mail me at Goodiesbypound@aol.com!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

St. Patrick's Day dinner


Corned Beef and sauteed Cabbage for dinner on St. Patrick's Day.  I don't know why I wait until then to make this dinner, we all love it, and the Reuben sandwiches I had for lunch the next two days were so delicious. I will have to put this meal on our list of meals so we can have it more often!

Now, the Reuben sandwich.  I have loved them forever, I want to take my kids to a real New York Deli to have the best corned beef and pastrami. We did have a corned beef sandwich, mine with sauerkraut, when we were in New York last summer at the Statue of Liberty. It was good and my son shared mine, his did not have sauerkraut though. But it was not the New York Deli experience, with the garlicky pickles, the potato pancakes with sour cream, matzo ball soup, and all the things that my Jewish father, who grew up in Brooklyn, ate as a child and passed on to me and my sisters and brother.

I have to admit, when I made my Reuben with the leftovers, I did not have any rye bread in the house.  I made it with sourdough and it was very good. I also substituted muenster cheese, because I do not like swiss cheese. If you can't tell by now, I had not gone to the store yet, so when I ran out of the sourdough, I made my husband a Reuben, without sauerkraut, on challah bread. He loved it and so did my daughter.

I hope everyone had a good St. Patrick's day and happy first day of spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment